Five Senses

We just finished our Five Senses unit.  I absolutely LOVED teaching the kiddos about their five senses.  They loved learning about it too!  You can click on any of the pics to go to my TpT store to purchase the unit.

Some of the activities that we did were:
Smelling Cups- I had the students smell different scents inside of cups and try to guess what they were smelling.  I had the real items sitting out in front of them to try to give them clues.  I used peppermint, banana, orange, and lemon scents.
Then I made everyone a plate and they got to taste each item.  Surprisingly, not too many even wanted to try the peppermint candy!  They're the buttermint kind, so not too minty and super soft (so that they're not a choking hazard to my young kiddos).

Touch Box- I had 5 different items and I had 2 of each.  I had a pile of one of each of the items sitting out and all of the others hidden and I would place one inside of a box and let the students reach one hand in the box and see if they could identify what it was just by touching it.

Sound Cubes-I have wooden cubes that have different things inside that make different noises.  I had the students listen and try to find the matching sound.  Some of these were very tricky, but they loved it!

Eye Spy- I glued magazine clippings onto a piece of construction paper and asked them questions to have them spy certain items.  I would ask them to find items by color, quantity and/or shape. 
See pic below:
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Five-Senses-Theme-Learning-Pack-1427118


Here's some pics of what we else we did:


For each sense we learned about, I used these sense sticks.  I actually printed out two sets and on the other set I placed magnets on the back so I could use them on my magnetic whiteboard.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Five-Senses-Theme-Learning-Pack-1427118
Here's the cover to our books!  I just let them choose whatever colors they wanted to use.  Sometimes I have them color things a specific color and sometimes I just let them choose. You can also see that there are a variety of ages in my class (3-5 year olds).  The booklet on top is one of my 3 year olds.  I think he did a great job!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Five-Senses-Theme-Learning-Pack-1427118
 This is one of the pages inside our Five Senses book.  I'm so proud of how nicely my kiddos are learning to trace and color!  I just glued each individual page onto a sheet of construction paper that I cut just a little bit bigger than the page.
 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Five-Senses-Theme-Learning-Pack-1427118
This is one of the learning sheets in my pack.  It's for the sense of smell.  The students have to decide if the smell is a good or bad smell.  It's so funny to see their little faces when we talk about the bad smells.  They all can imagine the smell of stinky socks and garbage!  It shows on their faces and most of them also said "yucky" or "stinky".  :)
 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Five-Senses-Theme-Learning-Pack-1427118
How cute is this little monkey!?  This is our Five Senses Monkey.  I chose a monkey to make because my classroom is zoo themed this year and also because I wanted my students to understand that animals have senses too.  I've also included people (a boy and a girl) in my pack...just in case you don't want to use a monkey! 
This is what I used for my cute little craftivity:
Ears- Jingle Bells
Eyes-Googly Eyes
Hands-Velcro (the soft side)
Nose- Anything smelly (perfume...or for allergy reasons you could use breath spray)
Mouth-Bananas from a box of Runts candy.
 
I hope you find these ideas helpful!  There's tons more in my Five Senses Unit pack.  Let me know if you have any questions!  :)
 
Love,
Kristin